Posted by jinson on 5:07 PM 9 comments
Hello everyone now I wanted to share about phone etiquette since I heard some people are not good in answering phone specially when someone annoys them. I also do same thing sometimes hang up somebody because it really annoys me a lot. So here I am trying to share some of the phone etiquette.

* Don’t phone before 7:00 am and after 9:00 pm [unless in an emergency or an important overseas call]. Also avoid calling people during mealtimes. People don't expect you to drop in and visit at these times, unless it is arranged. This includes texting, though you would obviously not text for emergencies.

* Ensure the number you have is correct. If you do disturb someone and it’s the wrong number then ‘please’ have the decency to say, “I’m so sorry! I have the wrong number!” That individual may be ill, in a wheelchair, or elderly, etc, so you should show respect and apologize for their inconvience.

* Check your voice! It carries much more than just a tone, and reflects your character and personality even on the phone! Remember: your listener cannot see you, so your phone-voice becomes your facial expressions, gestures, personality and character. Always check your voice when speaking; speak in a pleasant tone and very clearly. Smile through your voice! What they hear will make a positive or negative impression.

* When someone answers the phone don’t be harsh and abrupt by telling them what you want first. This confuses them and makes them wonder who you are. You also appear very rude, which is bad if you need a favour from them. It gives the wrong impression before you start! And don’t say, “Who is this?” You phoned them, so introduce yourself and state who you are and what you want – politely! For example; say “Hello, my name is Mrs. Peppermint, I'd like to speak to Mrs. Sally Lemon. Is she available?” Or if you are making inquiries, state; “Hello, this is Mrs. Peppermint. I saw an advert in the local paper for a shop assistant; is that position still open?” When finished, say, “Thank you for your help. Goodbye” and be genuine! Now ensure you give them time to say ‘Goodbye’ too!!

* Give people a chance to answer their phone! They could be outside in their garden, knitting, baking, washing the car or at another end of the house. Don’t just ring three times and hang up! It's annoying when you stopped doing something, go into the lounge to answer and just as it gets to your ear the caller hangs up!! Grrrrh!! :o)

* Don’t spend an hour [or hours] chatting to someone. Don't waste people's time or disturb the household! It’s one of the biggest turn-off’s to having a friendly chat! They will not want to talk to you again.

* Answering your phone: Again – don’t forget to check your voice! Just be pleasant and polite and say, ‘Hello’. Never give your name or other personal details unless you know who called; it's too dangerous today. If you are alone and you don’t know who the person is, don't tell them no-one is home or your husband is working, etc. Always pretend someone else is there. Use wisdom and good old-fashioned common sense! Be safe!

* If the call is for someone else, say something like; “Would you wait a moment please? I'll just go and call them for you.” Put the receiver down gently. If who they want to speak to is unavailable, say, “I’m sorry, Sally isn’t available right now. May I take a message for her and ask her to phone you as soon as she can?”

* If you must carry on two conversations at once you should always excuse yourself from one and resume it later. Say, "I'm sorry, can you hold on a minute; my boss is telling me something", and wait for the person's answer. If the personal conversation will last more than a minute, it would be better to ask, "Can I call you back? My mother needs to talk to me and it may take a few minutes".

* In case of needing a restroom break, say something to get off the phone, without sharing too much information.

* When talking on the phone in a public space, keep in mind that everything you say is no longer just your news. Keep your voice at "indoor voice" level, or lower. Generally, people with good manners don't talk about potentially embarrassing private issues in public.

* When on the phone, don't talk with others in the room. What's worse than having a phone conversation with one who chats, perhaps not listening to what you're saying, and you can't tell if they are speaking to you or others.

*Avoid using the computer while on the phone unless it's part of customer services. It is extremely rude and unpleasant when someone makes you listen to a clacking keyboard.

More next week......

Source of this etiquette: wikihow.com
Categories:

9 messages:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Yeah, I'm bad about that computer thing... but then again, I DO tell people to use e-mail instead of the phone for a reason!

Donna said...

I know a few customer service reps who could stand to listen to this.

Hmmm, Hubs is so guilty of sharing attention while on the phone!

Living It, Loving It said...

Some good advice. Thanks for visting my blog.

JO said...

I hate getting calls in the middle of the night... it gives me the shiver.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

storyteller at Small Reflections said...

Excellent advice ... though I'm such an early riser I tell folks they can call me before 7am though I wouldn't call them before 9.
Hugs and blessings,

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

Fantastic List. I actually talked with a Pac Bell rep yesterday who was perfect at all of these!

burn said...

thanks for dropping sis..

You give us a good advice.. i don't like either if someone will call me early morning..

http://thesafemode.blogspot.com/2009/08/thursday-thirteen-1.html

EastCoastLife said...

Good advice. I hope more people are aware of this.
Happy weekend!

CountryDew said...

Good tips, especially the parts about being safe. You can't be too careful these days.